“My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.”
I recently discovered Greig Trout’s mission and. although I may not be a cancer survivor, I decided to take his idea and run with it. You see, I feel like I have survived. I live with a condition which can be fatal. I have mental health problems – several bouts of depression and a generalised anxiety disorder – which could easily have destroyed me. At times the world seemed bleak and empty, a dark place of no hope. I have been lucky and each time I have had a relapse I have had people who were around me who helped me get help when I needed it. I still need reminding that there are things to look forward to, especially on the days where I feel like I am teetering on the edge and so I am compiling (and ticking off) my list of 101 things.
Everything on my list is something that I think I can do if I put my mind to it and I don’t have a full list of ideas yet.
Note: My 101 things to do when I survive list has things in it which I have already done before I even thought of writing it all down here. I have still included them as they are a reminder that I can accomplish.
So here’s the list:
Visit Galapagos Islands
- Visit Iceland
- Travel to every continent on Earth
- Europe – seeing as I live in the UK I am imposing the restriction that I need to have least step foot in all of the European countries before I can tick this one off.
North America South America
Stand on a glacier
- Climb an active volcano
- Sea kayak at least one of the Thai marine national parks
- See a Blue Whale in the wild, in person
Swim with a sea turtle
- Buy my own house
- Learn Spanish. Properly. So I can actually have a conversation.
- Play bass guitar in a gig.
- Go on a Tai Chi retreat
- Have a summer of festivals
- Attend a Holi Festival of Colours
- Get that tattoo fixed
- Write a book and get it published.
- Complete my MSc
- Visit Rome & Pompeii
- Spend some time in the Harajuku district.
- “Underland” my garden (properly, my own garden, not somewhere I am renting)
- Swim with a Whale Shark.
- Stand on the Greenwich Meridian.
- Cross the Greenwich Meridian/Equator intersection.
- Stand in two countries at the same time.
Stand in the Northern and Southern hemisphere at the same time.Done: 25/11/2013
- Stand on the shore of all the Earth’s oceans:
Atlantic– I was born, raised and currently live on an island in the north Atlantic. Right now I live on one of our Atlantic facing coasts so I think it’s safe to say I can cross this one off. Pacific
- Find all the rivers named in the “Rivers of London” series.
- Complete this list.